Lewes District Council and Eastbourne Borough Council are undergoing a transformation to adapt how we offer our services to enable a first rate customer service which maximises the use of technology, integrating services and systems across the two Councils.
The transformation includes having a joint Development Management service which will cover both Councils’ Local Planning Authority areas. Both authorities also include the South Downs National Park, where we undertake the Development Management Functions in partnership with the that SDNP Planning Authority.
All of the above ensures that there is a wide range of planning applications to get involved with, ranging from the small scale householder to implementing strategic sites arising from our Local Plan allocations.
At Lewes and Eastbourne we are keen to grow our own talent, and offer an excellent range of training, shadowing and mentoring, to ensure you reach your full potential.
As Specialist Advisor you will have a crucial role processing a wide range of planning applications in one of our two authorities, with opportunity to work across both to enable a full range or urban and rural experience to be gained. The teams are currently being set up and your appointment will cement the team structure, and you will provide support and guidance to the more junior team members.
We are looking for an individual with commitment, a high level of energy who can continue to achieve excellent performance whilst providing a first rate level of customer service.
You will have responsibility for processing planning applications and related issues, and you will make recommendations on all types of applications and assist the Senior Specialist Advisor with the mentoring of junior staff. Your key responsibilities will include:
- Managing and formulating responses to pre-application enquiries
- Screening planning applications at verification stage
- Evaluation, negotiation, recommendation and sometimes the sign off of application.
- Briefing committees and Council Members as well as representing the Council at appeals, hearings and public inquiries
- Mentoring more junior members of the team
To succeed as Specialist Advisor you must have competence in a variety of IT systems and packages, plus the ability to communicate with people of different social, economic and professional backgrounds. You must also have or working towards :
- A recognised planning qualification
- RTPI Membership
- Aptitude for progressing applications and development projects
- High level communication and presentation skills including clear, concise reporting and correspondence particularly concerning complex or controversial issues.
Interview date to be confirmed.
How to apply
Please apply online via the link provided. Please note, we do not accept CVs submitted without a fully completed online application form.